A Holiday at the WHITE HOUSE
NOVEMBER 21 THROUGH DECEMBER 23, 1989 KAUFMANN'S ELEVENTH FLOOR AUDITORIUM
ALL PROCEEDS BENEFIT WQED
WHITE HOUSE CUTAWAY VIEW OF THE SOUTH SIDE OF THE WHITE HOUSE
MASTER BEDROOM AND SITTING ROOM
The family quarters were cramped, insufficient, and lack-ing in privacy. In 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt had them renovated and expanded. PRESIDENTIAL STUDY Created during President Theodore Roosevelt's renovation and expansion, this room has been used to receive congressmen and other callers to the White House. President and Mrs. Reagan often ate dinner in this room while watching the news on television.
PRESIDENT'S YELLOW OVAL ROOM
The Yellow Room is in the center of the mansion on the second floor just above the Blue Room. On New Year's Day, 1801, President John Adams held the very first White House reception here. All the original furnishings were destroyed in the fire of 1814. The decor is in the Louis XVI style of 18th Century France. The Yellow Oval Room was the President's original "Oval Office" until the White House Wings were added in 1902. The present Oval Office in the West Wing was thusly contoured to match this room.
The Treaty Room is on the second floor east of the Yellow Oval Room, and was thusly named during the Kennedy Administration. This historically important room was the Cabinet Room for ten administrations beginning with An-drew Johnson in 1865. It is furnished in Victorian style to resemble the Cabinet Room of the Grant Administration. The room normally serves as a private meeting room for the President. President Kennedy signed the Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty here in 1963.
LINCOLN BEDROOM The Lincoln Bedroom, on the second floor above the East Room, is decorated in the American Victorian style of 1850-1870. During Lincoln's Presidency, this room was actually his office and Cabinet Room, and on its walls hung campaign strategy maps of the Civil War. Mrs. Lincoln bought the large rosewood bed and matching table in 1861 for a guest room elsewhere in the house, and Lincoln probably never slept here. Today, it is used as a guest room for friends of the President's family.
LINCOLN SITTING ROOM
The Lincoln Sitting Room is a small corner room adjacent to the Lincoln Bedroom. It was left empty and unused until after 1825, when it began to serve as an office for various Presidential clerks and secretaries. Its present decor dates from the Kennedy Administration and complements the Lincoln Bedroom's Victorian theme. The four rosewood chairs were part of the large purchase made by Mrs. Lincoln in 1861.
STATE DINING ROOM
The State Dining Room of the White House is located in the mansion at the southeast corner of the first floor. This spacious room, in a light ivory accented with gold, was designated the State Dining Room by Andrew Jackson. Healy's large portrait of Lincoln, above the mantel, was bequeathed to the White House by the Lincoln family in 1939.
The Red Room is one of four state reception rooms in the White House. Adjacent to the State Dining Room, it was redecorated in the American Empire style (1810-1830) during the Kennedy Administration. The room is richly elegant in red satin and gold. A portrait of Dolley Madison, painted in 1804 and rescued by Mrs. Madison from the fire of 1814, hangs high on the north wall.
The oval Blue Room in the center of the first floor, was completely redecorated in 1972 with many of the furnishings in the French Empire style — the decor originally selected by President James Monroe in 1817. Seven blue and gold chairs purchased by Monroe himself highlight the room. This cheerful state reception room contains original portraits of Presidents John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson and John Tyler.
GREEN ROOM The Green Room, next to the Blue Room, was first decorated with green silk by the Monroes after the fire of 1814. Although it has served as a dining room, card room and "lodging room," it is used customarily today for small teas and receptions. The style is Federalist, which dates from 1800 to 1815, and features graceful mahogany furniture and decorative adaptations of the American eagle.
The large East Room, designated by builder James Hoban as the "Public Audience Room," has seen many historic r White House events. Beginning modestly as Abigail Adams' laundry room in 1801, it started hosting social functions during the administration of her son, John Quin-cy Adams. Bodies of seven Presidents have lain in state here, from Lincoln to Kennedy. President Grant's daughter was married here in 1874, and Teddy Roosevelt's children used it for roller skating!
In the replica, the room is viewed through its windows.
The Map Room, located on the ground floor beneath the Red Room, was used by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as a situation room to follow the course of World War II. In 1970, this room was redecorated in Chippendale style to be used as a reception room. It contains such rare items as Thomas Jefferson's mahogany lap desk, a portrait of Benjamin Franklin painted in 1759 and a colonial survey map of Virginia dated 1755.
DIPLOMATIC RECEPTION ROOM
The Diplomatic Reception Room serves as the oval south entrance hall on the ground floor, a gathering room for the President and his guests at state functions and once in a while as an informal reception area. It is furnished in American Federal period (1788- 1825) and its oval wall presents a continuous panoramic view called "Scenic America," dating from 1834. The large oval rug incorporates the seals of the fifty states into its border.
The China Room, formerly the Presidential Collection Room, was selected by Mrs. Woodrow Wilson in 1917 to display the generations of White House china. The red decor was chosen by Mrs. Calvin Coolidge, whose large portrait dominates one wall. Every past President is represented in the China Room either by state china, family china or glassware, including Martha Washington's own monogrammed porcelain sugar bowl.
The Vermeil Room, sometimes called the Gold Room, was refurbished in 1971 to complement the collection of vermeil, or gilded silver, left to the White House in 1956 by Mrs. Margaret Biddle. The soft green paneled walls are accented with green satin draperies of early 19th Century design. A large portrait of Mrs. Andrew Jackson hangs above an inlaid marble top pier table dating from 1815.